Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

And 2012 is upon us! I really hope that this year is one filled with blessing.

January 1st is a special day of the year for me, but before I explain January 1st, I have to explain the end of December.  In Scotland, it's tradition for a house to be cleaned top to bottom before the New Year.  Something to do with sweeping out the spirits of the old year.  I know it's tradition, and superstitious nonsense, but it's a great chance for a spring clean.  It also makes me fairly unpopular for the last two weeks of December.  But on 1st January, my aim is to do absolutely, absolutely nothing.  Well, except for supper, which in our family tradition is always steak pie and roast potatoes.

So it got me to thinking about this little song.  When I hear it, it brings back memories of a happy outing to Pleasurewood Hills in Lowestoft, East Anglia.  Made popular by Bing Crosby in "A Yankee In King Arthur's Court", it was sung by the park's entertainer, ably "hindered" by the park mascot, Woody Bear.  I picture my parents there, my two almost adult children as babies sitting there loving it, and me filming everything. Good to think back on times like these at the start of a new year.

Woody Bear and friend at Pleasurewood Hills

So I decided to look online on YouTube and lo and behold I found the song, which about sums up my day today - Busy Doing Nothing.  It's old, it's cheesy, but it's fun.

Busy Doing Nothing - Bing Crosby, Bill Bendix & Sir Cedric Hardwicke - 1949

Enjoy it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment