Saturday, July 23, 2011

Book status!

At the risk of being boring, I'm going to be boring.  Today's entry is ENTIRELY what the name of my blog would imply - a blog about books!

I have a weird system of reading books and magazines.  Many have tried to understand it, all have failed, mainly because the system is very fluid and I change it as it goes along.  However, here is a breakdown of what's on my bedside table right now.

Just started reading: "Battle of the April Storm" by Larry Forrester.  I don't know his work, I don't know what to expect at all from this book.  It's the first of the four titles in a Reader's Digest condensed books collection.

Still busy with: "The Complete Works of William Wordsworth".  Yep, heavy.  Not just the weight of the book either!  Not a poetry buff at all, but this has sat on my bookshelf taunting me for years.  What I DO get about him is that he had a superb appreciation for the beauty that is the Lake District.

"I Know You're Hurting" by Lauren Stratford.  Oh wow - loving this!!!!!  It's already full of post-it flags of really encouraging passages I want to keep and share.  If anyone has a copy of "Satan's Underground" they'd like to lend me, I'd love to read it!  Wow, this woman has a powerful testimony!!!

"Sirens" by Eric von Lustbader.  If it didn't have such a great murder mystery storyline, I'd have put it aside weeks ago.  This isn't just the seedier side of Hollywood, this is the sick, depraved side of Hollywood.  Not just sex, drugs and rock and roll, but real licentiousness. I must admit, my stomach has been turned quite a few times, and I've skipped a few paragraphs, but I really need to know "whodunnit"!

Fiuished: "The Whip" by Catherine Cookson.  Maybe I knew I was specifically going to enjoy it because my mother was such an avid fan of Catherine Cookson. Reading this book, I understood why.

The story follows the life of a young girl, born into a circus family, orphaned at the age of seven, and sent back to live with her grandmother, entering a life of servitude.  I could explain the whole story, but it would just spoil it - I can't even begin to do it justice.  I think appearing in a Reader's Digest condensed novel did it far less justice than it deserved. I will say that it is full of twists, turns, heart-stopping moments.  The characters are so believable - nobody is so sickly-sweet and intrinsically good that they have almost superhuman qualities.  In fact, this book focuses on the fight of the flesh against the soul.  It also shows what the height of jealousy capacitates a person to do.

Thorougly enjoyed it; however, I would recommend reading the full version - it will be far more worth it.

Other than that, "The Message" and my NIV bible, along with my notebook and journal, and lots of post-it flags, adorn my bedside table.  I would tell you I lead a boring life, but I think a life without books would bore me far more than a life where I visit different worlds and eras almost every week.

Till the next update, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment